Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default fence issue with neighbor

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:42:55 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Hi
I just would love to hear your opinion about this. There is a fence between our house and neighbor. None of us build the fence. We bought the houses and the fence was/is there. The neighbor are now doing waterproof the basement. So they are digging the area close to fence. They asked me if I will allow them to move the dirt to my place (just easier than moving to the front of their house). I said no (I do not want to get all the mess, they are hiring unprofessional workers and this has been going for 4 weeks. These workers do not have even the right tools to do the job). Anyway, yesterday we were away when we came back we saw the fence boards are removed except the frame and the dirt moved to our backyard! (see pictures below please).

I expressed my disapproval strongly to the workers because the owner/neighbor was not there. The workers said you are neighbor and you should help etc and they promise to removed it today and said they put blue tar underneath so my backyard will be clean after. I was angry with them because they did not take my permission but then I said OK fine because I want to keep good term between us. Today they said they can not remove the dirt and need another day. They asked kindly so I said that is ok but I want it to be removed tomorrow.

I have the back of the fence (if you can see from the picture). It seems the person who lived before my current neighbor built the fence but not sure. Who really own the fence now? can each of us do anything with the fence without telling the other if they can do this or that?

Thanks a lot.

http://tinypic.com/r/25t7wy8/5 (my house is to the Left)
http://tinypic.com/r/25g9bol/5 (my house is to the Right)
http://tinypic.com/r/2432smq/5 (my house is to the Right)

After the workers remove the dirt, bake you neighbors a cake and thank
them for having that fence torn down.
It was an eyesore and served no purpose. It's totally stupid and was
probably put up by one of the previous owners when he was feuding with
his neighbor. Scrap wood and time on his hands.
When houses are close to one another like that, all such a fence does
is make maintenance difficult on that side of the houses.
Hard enough getting the right footing for a ladder in such a narrow
space without a useless fence in the way.
You should offer to go half and half on fences from house to house at
the ends, with a gate in back.
Keeps it from being a pathway for kids.
While you're it, make it level and top it with gravel.
Even weeds won't grow there.
You should really restrain your inclination to be a bitch about this,
and work with your neighbor.