Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Electric cars still a bit ****e

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
Renault are starting to really push their Zoe electric car. It's an
amusing price, but massively subsidised by European governments (ie by
you, me and every other taxpayer).

Renault advertise it as 130 mile range but in the small print is detail
that the real world range is closer to 60 miles.

They do themselves no good by this barely veiled attempt at
misinformation.
Rather in the same way as many CFLs and LEDs claim to be the equivalent of
say a 100w tungsten bulb when they plainly ain't - and by quite some
margin. Now we all know if you hammer a petrol car the fuel consumption
will increase dramatically - but the difference isn't in the same league
as electric.

But the interesting
detail is that you have to rent the battery. That will cost the driver
£80 a month for 7500 miles a year.

So that's 13p/mile just for the battery. And my wife's boring old
petrol car costs.... 13p/mile in petrol.

I'm struggling to see what makes the electric car a good idea.

I suppose you'd need to know the total running costs over a period of time
- including depreciation - to make a worthwhile judgement. Same as any
car, really.

Not all cars come with a rental battery.
Those of us with PV panels, charge them up from the PV with free electricity
in Summer.
My car does equivalent of 187mpg.
Or five miles/Kwh.
http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car...ric-(av-UK-mix)