Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tank vs tankless water heaters

On Friday, August 9, 2013 11:23:13 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:

;3104416']

The downside of course is that you have to replace two water heaters

when they reach EOL.

Maybe, but there's little difference in economy.

The lifespan of a water heater's tank is largely determined by the

amount of thermal shocking it endures, and that's directly related to

the sizing of the tank. The larger the tank, the smaller the drop in

temperature in the tank when hot water goes out and cold water comes in,

so the smaller the thermal shock each time hot water is used. So, by

using a 60 gallon tank for one bathroom instead of two, you SHOULD

expect to get a much longer lifespan of the tank in that heater.

Interesting theory, but I suspect it's not true. I don't accept the
idea that thermal shock is the dominant failure mechanism.

don't know if it would be double, but it would be much longer than using

that one tank for both bathrooms.

So, it's a pretty good overall gameplan in my books.

If you have any real data that says the above is true, I'm sure
we'd all like to see it.