Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default mystery water in ceiling

On 8/9/2013 4:45 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
All water pipes in my two story house are under the first floor and
in the first floor walls to the height needed to supply water to
faucets in kitchen and bathrooms in the first floor. This morning
when in bathroom (first floor) water dripped on my head; I looked up
and the ceiling around the air duct for heat and A/C was soaking wet
as was the metal vent itself. The inside component of the heat pump
is on the second floor in crawl space. The drain pipe for
condensation from it is between first and second floor. Problem does
not exist in any other ceiling vent area. What could be going on?

Is this something new? Yes? Then you have something that's recently broke.

Has it been raining? No? Then it's not a leaky roof that is migrating
to this location. Yes? Then you have two things to check out.

No rain? New problem? A/C running like crazy to keep up with summer
heat? The condensate drain line has somehow been compromised or perhaps
the pan which drains into it. Another possibility could be the
condensate line is plugged, causing the collection pan to overflow.

Remote possibility - your condensate pan may have a small pump to lift
the water from pan and into the condensate drain line. IF that pump
fails (and they do)...