Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mystery water in ceiling

On Friday, August 9, 2013 6:47:04 AM UTC-4, Frank Thompson wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2013 6:14:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:

On Friday, August 9, 2013 2:45:49 AM UTC-7, Frank Thompson wrote:

All water pipes in my two story house are under the first floor and in the

Is the surface area of the duct insulated to keep it from being in contact with warm air which would lead to formation of condensation?

Yes... further investigation (too early in morning to reach my hvac man) revealed

source of water is main unit itself. Pan under it for condensate is not filled with water (has small amt in it)& its drain pipe does not appear to be stopped up.

How do you know the drain pipe is not stopped up? If it's working
normally, there should not be water in the pan. The water should
be flowing out of a pipe connected to the bottom of the evaporator.
If the pipe gets clogged, then the pan is supposed to catch the
overflow as a backup. Where does the pipe go? Did you verify that
water is flowing out of it?

As others have said, it could be either a blocked condensate drain
or it could be a condensation problem with warm humid air hitting
a cold part of the unit or ducts. If it's been OK for a long
time, that would suggest that it's a condensate drain problem.

Significant water is on sheathing under unit & appears to be coming from unit from opposite side from access point where I cannot get to it.

Funny how it usually works out that way. And I'm guessing that it
was installed so the condensate drain is on that inaccessible side.
Hopefully there is some way to get there.....