Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Identification for onboard switch needed (Receiver Pioneer A-331)

On 08/07/2013 02:44 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:26:16 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

It's sure expensive, but it does a pretty good job on old wafer switches
and pots. I'm sure it's just a mixture of solvents with some organic
acid, but it doesn't smell like any of the common ones.

The original formulation of Caig Deoxit was called Cramolin which had
some oleic acid in it. Oleic acid is good for removing oxidation from
the contact surfaces. Commonly available on eBay. Mixed with almost
any volatile organic solvent, such as Coleman camp fuel (naptha), it
makes a good contact cleaner. Red dye is optional.

The problem is that oleic acid slowly attacks copper if left in place
for too long. So, after I apply the contact cleaner and wipe the
contacts, I then wash off the acid with some solvent, usually 90%
rubbing alcohol.

http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/cleaner.htm
Note the comments on the use of WD-40 as a contact cleaner.

I used Tarn-X on brass fingerstock with no ill effects noted. Non
sudsing ammonia works as well and costs a hundred times less, fyi.

I have used Cramolin Red liquid, from the same shelf as my pure Freon
liquid. I now have the DeOxIt Red, and Gold. I use Red on pots, Gold on
contacts and jacks. Only if I can't clean them by vigorously cycling them.