Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Roger Blake[_2_] Roger Blake[_2_] is offline

Default "Fixing" crap Harbor Freight battery charger

On 2013-08-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
How large are the batteries you're charging?

12 volt lead-acid car batteries, I should have mentioned that if I didn't!

What parts are on that board you have now? Can you post a photo?

It does look like they cheaped out on a couple of rectifiers, hence
the 28V center-tapped transformer. (The transformer looks surprisingly
hefty, though.) But then again there are 2 SCRs on heatsinks and it's
surprising how many discreet transistors this thing has, enough to make
a decent transistor radio, but who knows how many are real. A bunch
of what are probably phony 1% resistors completes the components. No
ICs. No capacitors. The center tap of the transformer feeds into the
center section of the board through a circuit breaker. Each side of the
secondary then feeds into its own symmetrical section of the board.

I tried taking a picture but my camera does lousy closeups, will have
to borrow one...

--
Roger Blake
Change "invalid" to "com" for email.