Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Turning rings from a pipe

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 21:49:12 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I can't make good rings that way either. I'd turn a wooden mandrel and
slide the pipe onto it, then part off the rings.

You can turn a shallow parting groove and use it to guide the bandsaw
blade. Saw a shallow cut, then rotate the work a little in the blade
travel direction so the flexible incoming blade rubs on and is guided
by the wall of the turned groove. Saw in a little and advance again.
Unless the blade is new and sharp it won't dig into the wall of the
groove much. Once the saw cut extends all around the blade should cut
the piece off squarely, or if not you can see it deflect.

The same trick can cut under the hard shell of a scrap hydraulic
cylinder rod with a tool you can easily sharpen rather than the
expensive sawblade.
jsw

After reading all this I am surprised the rings turned out as good as
they did :-)

I will remember the mandrel trick for next time it matters.

Thanks to all,

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC