Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Battery Warranties

On 8/6/2013 8:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
There are size adaptors, so you can run AA cells in C or D battery
devices, so the eneloops may be the way to go. I've got some NiMH
"precharged" that seem to do a good job. Time to give some thought, what
needs batteries, and what I use.

keep in mind though that an AA eneloop is something like 2000 mAh so
runtime of a device that uses D cells will be severely shortened.

The good news is that Tenergy makes LSD NiMHs in C, D, and 9V sizes
which are apparently of good quality as of today. (seems that you
always have to research this stuff though... candlepowerforums is a good
place to start) Better news is I can actually buy those at Micro Center
unlike Eneloops which I have to mail order. I'm glad I took the plunge
and tried them though; I really haven't noticed any difference in most
devices between the Eneloops and alkalines, other than that I'm not
worried about them leaking.

"Precharged" is another trade description for "low self discharge" which
is what you want for things like remotes, flashlights, other not often
used battery powered devices etc. Unfortunately most don't seem to get
very good reviews save for one particular Duracell battery that also has
a not-very-good variant that's sold in almost exactly the same
packaging, so it's easier just to mail-order Eneloops and know you're
getting good quality (at about the same price.)

nate