Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Bizarre toilet leaking problem

"Rebel1" wrote in message news:urWLt.272255

stuff snipped

The water supply is about 5.25" above the floor. It connects to the
bottom of the tank, which is 15" above the floor. Everything is dry there.

Sorry for asking, I should have known you checked but leaks can be so
insidious - like a chain of sugar ants going up electrical cords, under
cabinet edges, snaking through tiny holes, etc. Someone should invent a
spray that goes on like a white powder and when water hits it, it turns
blue.

I remember trying to track down a leak in a double basin sink and I would
dry everything off, run water into the sink and magically the pipes would be
wet again. It wasn't until I undid everything that I discovered one end of
a T fitting was only press-fit, not solvent welded.

The off-vertical wall I mentioned is an interior wall (no window). The
outside ones are much closer to vertical. A uniform slope (i.e., the
same on both side of the window) wouldn't cause a problem.

In my case the back has dropped 2". Back and front windows are still
square, but side windows are devolving into parallegrams. Very hard to open
parallegrams. )-:

The house was built in 1969 on a slab. When I bought it in 2000, I
immediately changed all window, mainly to save energy. Perhaps the
original ones had become hard to operate, but that was not a factor.

Did the same when I bought my house. The originals were double hung with
sash weights from 1941 and had six poorly-caulked individual panes to each
half. The unexpected benefit of double-pane Andersens was how quiet it got
with the windows tightly closed. The heating bill dropped like a paralyzed
falcon.

--
Bobby G.