Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Bizarre toilet leaking problem

"nestork" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Also, you'd no longer be able to clear that 6 foot drain with a snake
cuz all the crap you scrape off the inside of the drain pipe would end
up settling to the bottom o the P-trap and clogging it up.

I can't clear it with a snake anyway. It's an old tub drain with a metal
plate across the opening about 1" down from the rim which now has a hairline
crack from the time I was dumb enough to think I was going to be able to
remove and replace it without damaging anything. I spent a long time
staring at the ceiling in the basement thinking about this today, and the
solution options aren't very good.

I believe the only way to counter the fact that the waste stack didn't
settle with the rest of the house is to cut a section of the wastepipe out
equal to the amount that the rest of the house has settled and then
Fernco'ing it together.

Or I could keep plunging the SOB until it forces me to do something. )-"
Standing water seems to have really increased the tuberculation of the pipes
from rust. Right now there's a soft plastic screen over the drain to keep
almost any kind of debris out of the drainpipe. It's a bummer.

--
Bobby G.