Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Nuisance RCD trips

Currently being driven nuts by the above... I have a split load CU. When
the RCD trips, it's only that which goes; ie none of the MCBs trips at
the same time which means there's not much for me to go on.

Question 1: if, for diagnostic purposes, I switch off each circuit in
turn by manually flipping its MCB, does that actually isolate the
circuits for the purpose of elimination? Or would I need to open the CU
and physically disconnect all the cables from each circuit in turn,
completely?

Question 2: what does the fact that no MCBs are tripping; and the trips
occur at apparently random intervals (4-5 times in the last day, with
interval of up to ~10 hours so far, and including an overnight trip; and
no problem with reinstating the RCD immediately) tell me about the
nature of the fault, if anything?

Thanks for any pointers!

--
David