Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Bizarre toilet leaking problem

Rebel1 wrote:
On 8/5/2013 2:06 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Rebel1" wrote in message news:PENLt.239313$%

(As an aside, parts of this house are way out of square, but you can't
see it. For example, I placed one end of a 4' level against the wall
just above the base molding held it vertically. The wall at the top of
the level is a full 3/4 inch away!)

Didn't you have window closing problems that I thought might be related to
settling?

Have you checked the input connection through the tank wall?. If that leaks
it can work it way down to the base of the toilet quite easily.

I just put a level on my shower drain pipe (about a 6' run) and found that
it's negatively pitched. The huge cast iron waste stack that it's connected
to apparently held its ground as the house settled around it. That slowed
caused the shower drain pitch to go towards zero inches per foot and causes
it to clog up regularly. The fix eludes me. )-:

--
Bobby G.

The water supply is about 5.25" above the floor. It connects to the
bottom of the tank, which is 15" above the floor. Everything is dry there.

The off-vertical wall I mentioned is an interior wall (no window). The
outside ones are much closer to vertical. A uniform slope (i.e., the same
on both side of the window) wouldn't cause a problem.

Really? Since windows have to be installed plumb to both operate smoothly
and be covered under their warranty, I can foresee problems with a out of
plumb wall. Somewhere along the way, something isn't going to fit right.
With a plumb window in an out of plumb wall, some trim or some framing or
something is going to be "a problem".

The house was built in 1969 on a slab. When I bought it in 2000, I
immediately changed all window, mainly to save energy. Perhaps the
original ones had become hard to operate, but that was not a factor.

So did you install the windows plumb or did you match the slope of the
wall? If you installed the windows the right way (plumb) then how did you
deal with the trim, such as the interior stops?