Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Gardens, Pests, Poisons, Friends....

This is my first year with a koi pond, full-scale veggie garden, and
lots of shrub/flower beds to put in. It's been a real learning
experience, all around. First pest to show up was a colony of
chipmunks...there were stalks of indian corn left in the garden over
winter from previous owner. Knew I should have gotten rid of them, but
it was a busy winter. Chipmunks ALL OVER the place when it was about
time to plant veggies, so went shopping for rat traps. Peanut butter
and seeds on the traps; no dice. Went shopping for poison corn, a
serious weapon, judging from label instructions. Held off on that,
ready to kill varmints if they touched my new plants. Chipmunks were
all over the place, including taking drinks at the pond, but no sign of
harm to plants. Stray cat shows up now and then, especially in
neighbor's yard where a bunch of rabbits live under the pine trees.
About this time, the c'munks seem to head for farm country. Other than
moving a few of my flower seeds and small bulbs, they didn't seem to
bother anything, other than plant some sorghum next to the back door. I
really didn't want to poison them, mainly because some good creature
might dine on their poisoned corpses.

So, I'm well into planting flower beds, digging up a lot of sod. One
goal is to reduce the amount of grass to mow, and of course to have
pretty stuff to look at. Now, I have gotten a lot done, tilling pretty
large beds, when the damn moles move in. Tunnels ALL OVER my flower
beds and two or three plants killed because their roots are hanging in a
mole tunnel. Out to the farm store for a mole trap, a truly serious
looking device that might behead a racoon if it ran into the trap. A
week or two in place, and no sign of moles....apparently they were
exploring and didn't bother going into the lawn because the sod was too
tough.

When cabbage worms showed up in the garden, doing some serious damage to
brocolli and bruss. sprouts, I spent time picking worms by hand. Next
day, just as many worms as before. Nothing blooming, so I dusted with
poison on those plants. Gone.

Some good rains, just enough sun, and stuff is really growing. Over the
past 20 or so years, I have rarely seen honey bees. Echinaccea have
some bug problems, eating some leaves. Now, my echinaccea and squash
blossoms are full of bees; seem to be the only plants honey bees are
interested in, so no poison there. I'd rather have a few chewed up
leaves than to kill honey bees.

My morning routine starts with coffee by the koi pond, whilst I feed the
critters and enjoy the sunrise. Got a new tenant in the pond about a
month ago....bullfrog, body about 6" long. The koi have spawned but
didn't see any signs of fry until I cleaned the filter pit couple of
weeks ago and found four babies. Built a cage for them to protect them
from larger critters, but I kind of hurried on that at they escaped into
the pond. I figured the bullfrog would get them, but I haven't seen him
preying on anything. He either hangs at the surface of the pond,
watching me while I watch him, or he perks on the stones in the pot of
cat tails. If he leaves the pond, he jumps onto the rocky edge and then
into the hedges near the pond. If he ate koi eggs or fry, he left
enough for a 3rd generation of fish. I assume he finds some yummy bugs
under the shrubs.

Sunday, son and grandsons came over to pull some weeds and pick beans.
The live nearby, and can bike or walk a nature trail from their house to
ours. There is almost always free food to be had when they come over,
but it is always a better deal for us ) Son is good at spotting work
opportunities and is good at whatever he fixes. He decided to clean out
the basement window wells; just a few leaves. And 8 frogs. Window well
is about 4-5' deep, so we rescued the frogs and let them go in the pond.
Finished up with a meal of sausage and newly harvested potatoes and
beans. Yum.

Took the camera out to the pond this morning, trying to get some good
pix of Mr. Frog and the fish. Finished with Mr. Frog and put the lens
cap back on the camera. Just settin' there when a BIG bird landed on
the garden fence; darn, that's a red tailed hawk! Just as it registered
in my brain, he flew over the pond at about 3' and about that far in
front of my face! He landed on the fence for a sec, and then took off.
Looking for fish? Chipmunks? If a fish goes missing, I'll blame the
hawk. He might be around a while if nobody feeds him poisoned
chipmunks. Haven't had a heron land yet, but I wouldn't mind too much
if it didn't take my prettiest koi. Gold finches have shown interest in
the pond lately; when I finish remodeling the ugly pile of rocks that
serves as a waterfall and pond aerator, there will be a pool for the
birdies to bathe and drink. Haven't had any deer jump the fence, but I
think they fill up on hosta plants at my son's house. Deer highway goes
between his yard and the neighbor's. Just planted a white and red rose
of sharon for the hummers. Don't know what will eat my grapes, but hope
they save some for us.

My cucumbers are taking over the planet. Got enough tomatoes about to
ripen to make a mess of spaghetti sauce and share with fam. and
neighbors. Nice little watermelon about ready. Canteloupe, squash,
eggplant, brussel sprouts looking good. Now, if I encourage hubby to
eat more veggies, I'll have it made in the shade )