Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Shed foundation quandary

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:09:03 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

"basilisk" wrote in message

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 12:11:29 -0700 (PDT), MJ wrote:

In a week, I'll be building a 10x12 shed.

The plans call for a on-grade foundation with 6x6
skids. My property is sloped. From high pt to low pt is
about 8 inches. I called out a guy and asked about
pouring a slab. After I got over the price objections
($3k)

Wow $3k for a 10x12, I'm always shocked when I see how
much it cost to do things in other parts of the country.
This is an order of magnitude greater than it would cost
in AL.

I know there is a lot of differences in areas, frost
depth, general labor cost, cost of concrete, difficulty
of grading and prep and site access, but even worst case
in all areas, $3k seems excessive.

Indeed. We're only talking about around 1 1/2 yards of concrete for the
slab. Somewhat more for integral footers but even so...

I haven't had any concrete work done for years but I doubt the cost of a
yard is much more than $85/cy in Central Florida. Say $100 with rod, wire
and all. Call it $200 for what he needs. Add some base. Add two men for a
day (should be more like a half day). If they wanted even $1500 total I'd
feel raped and I'd be looking elsewhere.

The going price around here is $2.75/sq.ft. for sidewalks; I suspect a slab
would be somewhat higher but I bet I could get a 10' x 12' x 4" slab for
$500, $750 tops.

Last concrete I used was about a year ago, it was $75 yard, I am in a good
area for concrete, within a 40 mile radius of me there are portland plants
sand pits and rock quarries. probably many places have considerable
freight to the batch plants.

basilisk