Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Shed foundation quandary

On 8/5/2013 8:56 AM, basilisk wrote:
On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 12:11:29 -0700 (PDT), MJ wrote:

In a week, I'll be building a 10x12 shed.

The plans call for a on-grade foundation with 6x6 skids. My property is sloped. From high pt to low pt is about 8 inches. I called out a guy and asked about pouring a slab. After I got over the price objections ($3k)

Wow $3k for a 10x12, I'm always shocked when I see how much it cost to do things in other parts of the country.
This is an order of magnitude greater than it would cost in AL.

I know there is a lot of differences in areas, frost depth, general labor cost, cost of concrete, difficulty of
grading and prep and site access, but even worst case in all areas, $3k seems excessive.

It would be hard to beat sono tubes below frost line and cast in place anchors.

basilisk

You can build a 10 X 12 building for $300. I don't even think you could
build for that using scrap lumber. My 10 X 12 barn roof shed cost
about $2500 installed.

2 X 4 X 8' are about $2.5 /ea
4X8 3/4 pressure treated plywood about $35/ea.