Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shed foundation quandary

Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

You might be trying to NASA-tise this. :-)
8 inches is nothing, one concrete block. You could dig one side down
only 4 inches and it wouldn't look too high on the other side.

As for a foundation, where in the country are you? If you have a lot
of freeze and thaw, you may want a foundation under the freeze line.
If you don't have long hard winters, you could hand dig shallow pier
holes or wider pads for crushed stone and a concrete post block. I'm
in TN and I dug shallow pads filled with crushed stone, on top of
which sit flat cement blocks that the wood skids sit on. My shed is a
bit smaller than yours and hasn't moved in 12 years.

I think block on stone would work for you and you could do it
yourself in an afternoon.

Excellent commentary. I do live in the frost zone - I'm in the
Syracuse, NY area and our frost goes a full 4' every winter. My shed
is about 20 years old and is built on concrete blocks around the
perimeter. I did not use any gravel fill or crushed limestone. I
simply leveled in the blocks in the natural soils. It's still there
- level and plumb, and doing just fine.

Should have included that my shed is 16x20 and is two stories tall. I
easily get 4-5 feet of snow build up on the roof over the winter, and I used
to park both a snowmobile and a garden tractor in there, besides all of the
clutter that a shed is supposed to contain.

--

-Mike-