Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default Shed foundation quandary

On 8/4/2013 4:44 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/13 2:11 PM, MJ wrote:
In a week, I'll be building a 10x12 shed.

The plans call for a on-grade foundation with 6x6 skids. My property
is sloped. From high pt to low pt is about 8 inches. I called out a
guy and asked about pouring a slab. After I got over the price
objections ($3k), he and I talked about cheaper suggestions. He
said, oh, we could do Sonotube piers. I agreed but the project at
that point stalled as I lost the person who was going to help.

Anyways, I found another person and he said he and I would do the
foundation layout, digging, etc. ourselves. I told him my soil is
kinda hard (clay and possible sandstone). No problem, just water the
area and it will soften. I did a test dig yesterday and the water
didn't drain for over an hour. Hmm, this is gonna be tough going.

Here's where I'm at. I could go with on-grade foundation using solid
concrete blocks to level up the low spots. Not a problem for me, easy
to layout and make happen. Or... we could get a power auger and drill
the Sonotube piers. My helper who is a expert carpenter is away on
vacation until two days before we start, so I can't get his opinion.

Which way would you go? Block or tubes?

My only concern is earth movement. Earthquakes are possibility. But a
rare one. Would one would see a wood foundation come off a cement
block pier in a minor (less then Richter 2) quake? I thought of
drilling into the block and holding the joists with anchors. Can you
drill solid block?

MJ

You might be trying to NASA-tise this. :-)

Agreed, our shed is only a 10x10, but I just built a 2x8 frame on 16"
centers covered with ply and sat the whole thing on four pier blocks,
shed went up from there and this Toronto Canada. The area was level though.

--
Froz...