Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ring gearing was Gearbox efficiency while back-driving

"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 3 Aug 2013 19:33:28 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 3 Aug 2013
08:13:42 -0400
Coming down a twisty mountain road as passenger in a heavily loaded
5-ton I watched the tach hit 5000 RPM, twice the redline. I suppose
the engine can survive whatever full scale on the tach is, right?
jsw

Depends. One thing if you are using the engine as a large
air-compressor "brake, another thing if you are trying to get power
out of it at that RPM.
Your Mileage (engine hours) will vary
pyotr filipivich

No matter, we had a rich Uncle who would pay for what we broke,
usually without asking questions.
jsw

There is that. Not to mention buying the AV gas for your plane
(but that is a more .. specialized group, those active members of
Uncle Sam's Flying Club.)

--
pyotr filipivich