Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 2008 lost LED mons while rained

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 01:13:08 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

In Dec 2008 I lost two LED monitors in one week. There was light rain in
both cases but nothing got wet. I mentioned this to other people said this
happened elsewhere. Two insisted it happened to them, and others were
hearsay. The same week!!??

I would appreciate a rational explanation

The rain shorted out the insulators on the power lines. The circuit
breaker tried to find an alternate route for your power and produced a
glitch or spike. A surge protector might have helped, but if the
energy in the spike was more than the MOV could bypass, your power
supply probably took the hit.

What's an LED monitor? Is that an LCD monitor with LED backlighting
or did you mean an LCD monitor?

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558