Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30231 Ignoramus30231 is offline

Default Ring gearing was Gearbox efficiency while back-driving

On 2013-08-03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message

A Hellcat, powered by a 9 cyc. 450HP radial aircraft engine,
could do 60 MPH full out and these did just that. Imagine
those 40,000 lbs going 60 mph up a narrow road....

This 15,000 lbs at 30-40MPH was about all I could handle on narrow,
winding Bavarian back roads, the Ultimate Driving Machine's native
habitat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M-...p_Van_pic1.JPG
The Romans built straighter, wider roads for foot and wagon traffic.
One road across an open field meandered in sync with a stream a few
hundred meters away, as if following an ancient land boundary.

They were fun in a Jeep or my VW, though once a convoy of British APCs
forced me to dart into the wood when we met in a corner.

Coming down a twisty mountain road as passenger in a heavily loaded
5-ton I watched the tach hit 5000 RPM, twice the redline. I suppose
the engine can survive whatever full scale on the tach is, right?
jsw

Not if it is Cummins NHC-250