Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Separating Wired and Wireless Networks

On 02/08/2013 19:17, dennis@home wrote:
On 02/08/2013 10:16, Steve Firth wrote:

With a separate wireless access point you have two main options, to
use The
WAP as a router or as a bridge. I think the Netgear that you have only
supports bridge mode and all WIFI clients must be in the same address
range
as the LAN.

That's because in common with most home wifi routers its a router
connected to a switch and the WAP hangs off the switch.

With a separate WAP you can configure it as a router with its own DHCP
and
DNS.

Not with a WAP, you need something with a router in it and WAPs don't
have one.

All your WiFi clients can then be on a separate subnet and you route
to your existing LAN using NTP. This protects your WiFi clients from your
LAN to an extent but does not protect your LAN from the WiFI clients.

You can do that with a Netgear (or any other) cable router if you ignore
the LAN ports on the switch as you then have a LAN port a router and an AP.

You can't usually do that with an adsl router (like the dg834g) as the
LAN ports are all on the same switch along with the wap.

Although as I mentioned earlier, the 834G does support wireless
isolation as an option which means wireless clients can be restricted
from access to anything on the LAN, or each other, and can only use the
connection for access to the WAN connection. Likewise LAN clients can't
see the WiFi ones.

--
Cheers,

John.