Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ring gearing was Gearbox efficiency while back-driving

David Lesher wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_destroyer

"The weight saved from the lack of a turret could allow more
armour to be fitted, and the lower profile allowed this armour
to be concentrated in the hull."

The tank destroyer story I liked {and feared} was when Patton
was trying to relieve Bastogne; he sent several M18 Hellcats at
top speed to attack the German rear and create confusion.

A Hellcat, powered by a 9 cyc. 450HP radial aircraft engine,
could do 60 MPH full out and these did just that. Imagine
those 40,000 lbs going 60 mph up a narrow road....

The image of a group of angry Tasmanian Devils popped into my head. I
loved those stupid cartoons.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.