J. Clarke

Default Sawstop cabnet saw nearing reality

Herman Family wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:58:42 -0400, George george@least wrote:
If there's one thing _not_ to use as a bad example of regulation, it's

the
airbag.

For folks who don't have sense enough to use belts, they're lifesavers.

Not really. The airbag is designed for them to be in position. Airbags

will
only be in the right place if the patient is held in place by the seat
belts - they work _with_ the belts, not _instead of_. They are
going to do their little "partially or fully ejected" trick without
belts, no matter if the airbags go off or not. If they're not where the
airbag expects them to be, _that_ is when you'll see more airbag-assisted
injuries - if your face is in the big pillow when it goes bang, it's
gonna hurt. Still softer than the glass, but...

I've noticed a big reduction in head injuries in my little county from
deployed bags. It's always a relief to survey the scene and not see

that
impact star in the windshield.

I don't think I've been to a scene with deployed bags and windshield
"football sign", but I'm not sure if that's specifically because of the
bags, or because of the people driving cars with, vs. without.

I have cut seven fatals from seatbelts in twenty years, four of which

also
had airbags deploy, but when the engine is in the passenger
compartment,

or
the door intrudes past the center console, I don't think anything will

work.
Of ejected, two of probably 20 survived.

You do not want to be ejected. You _especially_ do not want to be
partially ejected (translation: head sticking out when the car rolls on
top of it).

Oh yeah, hundreds who wore the belts were collared and boarded as

precaution
only.

Yup. If the car is smacked hard enough to deploy the airbags, it's
pretty much trashed anyway - better to let the car's safety systems work
together
to help you out. What this has to do with, what, Roundup on weeds, well,
who knows. But, people who say airbags aren't a valuable life-saving
development must have limited exposure to crashes and the results
of them.

Dave Hinz
(ff/emt)

I've also been to a number of accidents where airbags and seatbelts were
used. Seatbelts save lives. Shoulder harnesses safe faces. Airbags go a
bit further. I've been absolutely amazed at the level of damage to some
vehicles with no serious injury to the occupants of the vehicle. That's
not to say there wasn't the famous shoulder harness stripe down the chest,
but certainly no head impact.

The only injury I've seen from airbags is a burn or abrasion. One fellow
had the reverse image of his car logo impressed into his arm from the
airbag
cover. I'll take that level of injury any day.

Michael (also an emt)

I strongly suspect that the reason airbags started to be popular in the
late 80's and early 90's is that the patent (probably mid 60's) ran out
and so no one would have to pay royalties.

The reason airbags became popular is that in 1984 the NHTSA enacted a
regulation requiring all new cars to have passive restraints, and in 1993
amended that regulation to require airbags. Had nothing to do with patent
expiration and everything to do with being forced by the government to
install them.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)