Posted to uk.d-i-y
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Separating Wired and Wireless Networks

On 01/08/2013 11:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/08/2013 09:10, thescullster wrote:

snip

Yup, however if you want more flexibility, then having a more
sophisticated router helps. Something like a Vigor 2830 will let you
configure up to 4 SSIDs on the same WAP, and each can have different
levels of access - and can be allocated to separate VLANs as well. So
you can have things like guest wifi that can see the internet - perhaps
with upload and download rate limits in place, and no access to LAN
machines, and then a more priviledged wifi that can see other machines
and has no limit etc.

(note that MAC address filtering does not really offer security as such
- since someone wanting access can simply sniff the MAC addresses that
are talking then clone one later. Hiding the SSID is also a fairly
feeble security measure in this day and age)

Thanks John

It looks like combining the above weakish measures with your wireless
isolation is probably the best I can do without spending on a more
sophisticated device.
Trouble is that family members are used to other vanilla setups where
there is no security and everything just works!
I suspec that they will be un-impressed if the wireless isolation
prevents printing...

Phil