Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Drilling Thru 12 Inch Block+Inner Wall

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Bob_Villa wrote:
The wall is ceramic tile, drywall, foam, and then 12" concrete block (I
can't detect any hollow). I have a 12" long masonry bit but the total
wall is something like 18 inches!
Is there a way of detecting where the drill is located from the outside
(after maxing the depth from the inside)?
I was wondering about studfinders that can detect live wires and metal
studs or a non-contact voltage detector and connecting a live wire to the
bit or rod...any thoughts on this?
Thanks!
Bob_V

Cut a metal hanger, sharpen the point and chuck it into your drill. Drill
the max depth with the masonry bit and then use the wire to complete the
hole.

A hanger will go through both wood and block. BTDT

If the block has the cored grouted (cemented) it aint' going through. An
extension for the bit should do the job if the hole size is at least
5/8" or so.