Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Separating Wired and Wireless Networks

On 01/08/2013 09:10, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

OK so this is maybe a bit OT for the group, but here goes.

I've never been a fan of wireless, so cabled the house up with Cat 5 to
a number of rooms. There are clearly now numerous devices that will
only connect wirelessly and I am under pressure to add a WAP.

I've inherited a Netgear DG834G wireless router, our existing network
uses the wired version of this device. I have set up the wireless
router as a WAP OK, but wondered if it is possible to configure it as a
DHCP server with a different address range to the wired router.

Not sure how much security this would add, but I'm inclined to do as
much as possible to separate the wireless network from certain wired
devices. The SSID of the WAP is hidden and MAC address filtering on
that router is in place.

Anyone setup a separate wired and wireless network?

TIA

Phil

IIRC, the DG834G is an ADSL router, so it has 4 LAN ports and the WAN
side is via the ADSL modem, therefore unless you can obtain different
firmware that will allow you to change one of the LAN ports to a WAN
port, you cant do what you are thinking with this router...

To separate into two completely separate network you either need a
"Cable" wireless router, that has a WAN Ethernet port, you would then
configure the WAN Ethernet port with an IP address in the range of your
current wired LAN and connect it to that, then configure the LAN of the
wireless router to a new range. While this will work most of the time,
it causes a double NAT, which can cause issues, especially with things
like VPN connections.

To do it properly, you either need an enterprise level firewall that can
manage all this in one box, like a SonicWall, or you need three "home"
routers, and multiple public IP addresses from your ISP.

The three routers way is where you have the primary router connecting to
your broadband, and then the two other routers connect to this, each
getting a different public IP address from the primary router, the
networks are then as separate as yours and mine are now.

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply