Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default High Security = Low Security

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Wednesday 31 July 2013 22:05 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 31/07/2013 18:57, Phil L wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
Do you have the authority to have new keys cut for your front door? If
not then neither would the previous tenant and you should be able to
find out from the landlord just how many keys have been authorised for
your lock. If that matches the number you have, you don't have a
problem.

Authority?...

Any legitimate locksmith will require you to prove that you are
authorised to have a copy made of a high security key and will refuse if
you can't. Unless there is reason to think that the previous tenant was
into consorting with dodgy locksmiths, it is fairly good protection.

Or the tenent is a dodgy locksmith :-|

The problem in my case is that all the tenant has to do is hand back one key
fewer than (s)he was given.

As I have no idea how many (s)he was given (and no-one seems to be
officially policing it), I can't tell if (s)he has done that.

As I have already said, starting out with three would not seem at all
unreasonable (nor unlikley).