Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Advice on tricky tree felling?

gwandsh wrote:
At a remote location we have a couple of large oak trees that partially overhang or lean towards our cabin roof. These are tall, narrow profile scrub oaks, but are 50'+ high and have trunks about 2' in diameter. The terrain is sloped, so essentially I am looking to fell these trees "uphill".

I was thinking they could be safely taken down with minimal pre-pruning by attaching a grapple at a fairly high location (20-30' up), roping to a block on another tree, and applying a lot of pull on the line as the trunk is cut.

I realize a pro would be the best option, but as I said, it is pretty remote and cost is a large factor.

Wondering if anyone has taken a similar approach to removing trees that need to fall in specific directions. Would a standard block and tackle suffice, or are there specific tree handling versions I could rent somewhere? Not seeing much info online.

Cheers

Hi,
I had to do that once at my cabin but our cabin sits on a flat land at
high altitude. Exactly that is what we did but I used 1 ton pick up with
winch to hold the rope tight and enough away from falling trees. We
attached heavy rope to the winch cable. After pruning, we notched the
tree where to cut, we used big chain saw little above behind the notch.