Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default High Security = Low Security

On 31/07/2013 22:12, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:

On 31/07/2013 18:57, Phil L wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
Do you have the authority to have new keys cut for your front door? If
not then neither would the previous tenant and you should be able to
find out from the landlord just how many keys have been authorised for
your lock. If that matches the number you have, you don't have a
problem.

Authority?...

Any legitimate locksmith will require you to prove that you are
authorised to have a copy made of a high security key and will refuse
if you can't. Unless there is reason to think that the previous tenant
was into consorting with dodgy locksmiths, it is fairly good protection.

Don't they have to report it? When I was a student we were given a key
to a disused lab to do some work. Tried to get a copy made for
convenience as there was more than one of us, turned out to be a
building master they'd given us - the lock shop bloke said that by
rights, he should have shopped us.

No idea. I've only ever had them cut as the legitimate key holder. One
system required me to present a credit card sized authority card, which
contained the data the locksmith needed to cut the key, rather than the
key itself. Duplicates could not be cut from a key.

Colin Bignell