Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Machine Mart - small claim

On 31/07/2013 17:14, John Rumm wrote:
On 31/07/2013 16:47, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 21/04/2013 19:28, Rick Hughes wrote:
You might remember I posted details of an item I bought from Machine
Mart (combined magnifier & Fl light) it was useless, quality of
magnifier lens was so poor everything was out of focus.

Took it back the next day ... as I had 'opened the box' they would only
give a Credit Note.

Next time I went to buy (£50 ) took Credit note to pay ... to be told
credit note expired.
In the very small print there was a date limit ... certainly not
mentioned by the shop at the time.

I tried multiple approaches to MM ... all rejected, so followed
suggestions here and submitted a Small Claims Court write ... for value
of goods.

Their defence is the terms of credit note were written on it, and they
therefore dispute the claim.
They have issued a counter claim ... where they are claiming £380
damages for "Transport to and from court, & time away from the office"

Update on this ..... Mediation went ahead, not sure why Machine Mart
opted for it they refused any compromise or to accept any offer.
Machine Mart stated contractually they have provided a Credit note with
stated T&C's and have met them.
Although Mediator tried to position morally they had not explained time
limit, and they could keep a long term customer by making a compromise
they refused.

They were not interested that original item was "not fit for purpose"

Now been told if I want it to go before a judge it will be another £25
fee and a further £25 costs if I don't win.

In the grand scheme of things, you have come this far, you may as well
press on I would say.

+1
Hopefully you won't be out of pocket when (not if) you win