Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default High Security = Low Security

wrote in message
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:16:25 PM UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
Just moved into my new flat.

It has DPS "High Security" locks which are (presumably) un-pickable.

However, I have one key which own both the communal front door and my own
flat's door.

I guessing that means that I can't change the cylinder and get a batch of
new keys as they then wont be able to open the front door (unless that
is,
there's only one common door keying).

So I'm stuck with having to hope that previous tenants haven't kept a key
(Or worse, given one to their friends).

There are systems which allow the front door to be opened by a
multiplicity of different keys, but they can be complicated. The locksmith
who fitted the locks in the first place may be able to produce a new
pinning for the cylinder which still opens the front door - though often
these things are ordered as a complete suite of locks requiring you to go
back to the manufacturer armed with permissions signed by anyone who might
have an interest and then pay an arm and a leg...
I think I'd just give up on the convenience of having the same key for
both doors unless it's something that's ruled out by the tenancy
agreement.

I own it on a long lease. I think that I can tell the freeholder where to
go if he tries to make up rules about my door locks where the change affects
no-one else.

Though you are right about the restrictions where it does.

tim