Old Nick

Default Sawstop cabnet saw nearing reality

On 21 Jun 2004 07:45:36 -0700, (brian roth)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

FWW had a short write up about the first pre-production sawstop cabnet saw.

More pictures at
www.sawstop.com. I didn't like thier efforts to force
the technolgy on all saws, but applaud them building a better mousetrap.

There was some simplistic prat who said "If you invent a better
mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door." They forgot to
include economics.

IIRc the Saw Stop was a significant part of the cost of a saw.
pphhptht!

IME, WRT the sawstop, as with all "bright ideas" if they
(a) take the long sales view
(b) really care about safety

and rather than trying to enforce their market, they then price the
thing to _sell easily_, (rather than pay for development costs in 6
months), then there is no _need_ for the "enforced view".

Reality. X percent of the saw-using community suffer loss of a weener
sausage during their career or hobby life. Cost your mousetrap at much
more than this, and Govt intervention (insurance lobby groups) is your
only hope.

There are those that _succeed_ in their lobbies. There are those that
fail.

It's a BIG bet. Fail and you will NOT sell. "Ferget you, man!"

If I was going to lobby for mandatory whatever, I would say "What
votes

this thing?"..............table saws? umm......... .....2%

.....Looooser!

Market forces apply. Get the price down.

Airbags? 80+% _use_ the thing it "helps". Winner! Bull**** _or_ not.

"Short people" it kills? 1%.......see stat on weener savers.