Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Casing doors

wrote:

Reminds me of a good tip.

Make your reference/spacer marks as needed on the jamb. Cut the trim to length using the inside length of the miter, not the outside. Put both sides up, but DO NOT nail the last 8 inches around the miter joint, just make sure the trim is on your mark. Measure the outside length of the top piece (the horns if you will) to get an overall outside measurement. If the sides are not 100% attached, you can move them very slightly back and forth to improve the appearance of your miter joints. This may be necessary as NO door is ever installed completely square or completely plumb. Attach the top piece with a nail in the center of the trim, inspect your joints, adjust/trim as needed and if necessary put a nail (predrilled of course!) into the miter joint. I would suggest a 3d for that joints as needed.

Once you are satisfied with the fit, complete the attachment of the trim.

Written like a true pro--it sounds like sage advise!

I don't know if you remember me screwing around "shimming" my door for
the last year or two (Mike Marlow was sort of helping me with it)? It
wouldn't stay locked all year. I ultimately determined that my
"weather-related" problem with the door not locking was only indirectly
due to the shimming. It was due to the door latch hitting the edge of
the striker plate. Installing a different striker plate allowed me to
move the opening down about 1/4 inch--which I strongly believe is the
final word on that problem. That said, this may be a good chance to
shim the door again (for the 5th or 6th time?) , before I "reinforce" it
with all of this molding! Like a "box"!!! %- ). I use my
reciprocating saw to cut the old nails... I'll try to force myself to
shim it one LAST time...though the place where the nails enter is
starting to get a little ragged. If anyone points and asks, I'll just
have to admit, "that's where I learned." Maybe I can cover my
experience with some joint compound.

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks once again for a very helpful lesson!

Glad to help!

Robert