Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Casing doors

On 7/30/2013 4:02 PM, Bill wrote:

I've been "sweating that miters" ever since I took the old one molding
down! Though the fellow who did the previous installation didn't sweat
it--he just left a 3/8" gap inside the miter I guess that's why I
didn't hesitate to discard it.

Two leg miters are really not that difficult. as you only have one width
to worry about, the distance across the door. Your problems really
begin on four sided miters, like a picture frame. If the side pieces
are a little long or short the extra material can be accounted for at
the bottom of the door. That is what quarter round is for.

I cut my miters on a table saw, using a triangle miter gauge. Coarse cut
the miter on the table saw, then do a shave cut on the table saw to get
the precision.