Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Chimney crown and top repair? - I don't want to be scammed

"micky" wrote in message

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 19:25:46 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Other than aesthetics, what other problems do you
have with the chimney?

I see the following problems:
1. cracking of chimney mortar cap
2. brick pointing is missing
3. several bricks have spalled along the facade.

The chimney sweeps said that the "chimney saver" clear
coat will help to stop the brick spalling. I am
assuming that I need something on the chimney cap to
prevent further cracking. Am I missing anything??

I didn't think I saw a big chip coming out of one brick.
I don't want to reload the photos now, unless you give me
more reason to.

In 1957 we bought a house that was built after 1950, I
think. First litle chips came out of the brick, in one
or two parts of the walls and the chimney. Then the
chips got bigger. My mother talked to someone who said
to "paint" the whole thing with silicone, or silicon, or
silicone-nnnnnnn. It came in gallon cans, not paint cans
iirc but like for turpentine. I did that and I think it
helped quite a bit. It was clear so it was hard to tell
where I'd painted and where I hadn't but I think I did a
good job, and I was only 14.

Silicone was and is a good penetrating sealer. Its purpose is to prevent
water intrusion and damage from same; in cold climates, water intrusion that
then freezes will ultimately mess up any masonry because water expands as it
freezes.

Maybe they make a better product now??

There are other penetrating sealers, one of which (name escapes me now)
combines chemically with the ingredients in the masonry.

--

dadiOH

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net