Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Chimney crown and top repair? - I don't want to be scammed

Red Green wrote in
:

wrote in
:

Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys
come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need
"Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something
costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed. Can you take a look
at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too
comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_7279_zps
b f851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_1206_zps
e 5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_1188_zps
0 2c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_1207_zps
c f5fd75f.jpg

Thoughts:

On the left patch job, cement should not be butted up against the
flue. Expansion could cause the flue to crack. There should be a gap
about 1/4" between the cap and flue filled with the likes of
polyurethane or as described below during build.

The total story of caps is here. But it speaks of the gap and why is
is needed. JLC is a well respected trade magazine.

http://www.jlconline.com/masonry-con...-leaking-chimn
ey-cap.aspx

"Figure 4.Built of concrete rather than mortar for durability, this
industry-recommended chimney-cap design features a small gap around
the flue that allows it to move independently of the cap when it heats
up and expands."

"A bond break is important. My next step was to wrap the flue with
foil-faced bubble-pack insulation. Approximately 1/4 inch thick,
inflammable, and easy to wrap around the flue liner, this product is
the best I've found for isolating the concrete cap from the flue. It
has enough body to hold back the concrete during the pour, yet
contains air spaces that allow for differential movement between the
cap and the flue (Figure 7)."

Left flue, what is that faint black vertical line just to the right of
center going from the cap up? (had to enlarge the pic to see better).

On that right flue, I would wonder why there is black at the base
where the cap is butted to the flue. Exhaust coming up the outside of
the flue at one point?

Not a chimney wiz. Probably just paranoia on my part. Questions I
would wonder though.

p.s.

Kind of high???! It's 5 times that height when you're on a ladder. And
with that roof pitch, coming at it from that side is NFG.

Worth every dime to let a pro with life and medical insurance do it.