Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Way to slow down box fan?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:56:10 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Ken,

Return the fan and try another brand. If you can't find one that's quiet
enough look into balancing the blades. That's where the noise is coming
from, most likely.

A lof of fan noise is not caused by out-of-balance fans but by the air
which is moving because of the fan. No matter how good the bearings
or how well balanced the blades, if there is too much air moving, one
can hear that. Many people may not mind or even notice, since it's
the essense of a fan to move air, but I sure mind. Maybe that's what
is bothering Heathcliff too.

(My last 3 Chrysler LeBarons had 4 speed fans, and I almost always
kept the speed on 2, almost the slowest, because that was the fastest
speed I could not hear. After 23 years with LeBarons, I bought a
Toyota Solara, which has 5 fan speeds. Sounds better, but only the
lowest speed is silent. But the lowest speed moves less air than
speed 2 (and maybe even speed 1) of the LeBaron. So I'm forced to
use speed 2 and put up with the noise.

(One of twenty reasons so far that the Chryslers (and the GM cars)
were better than the Toyota.)

Forget the resistor.

Dave M.