Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
passerby passerby is offline

Default Learning industrial robotics, any favorite robots?

replying to Ed Huntress , passerby wrote:
huntres23 wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:18:01 +0000, passerby
Here's something that just appeared in my inbox that may be useful for
Roger, at least for him to know about:
Yaskawa Motoman Offers STEM Platform for Education and Workforce
Development
Dayton, OH (July 2013) - Yaskawa Motoman has released a new STEM
Robotics Platform for education and workforce development. A
general-purpose platform and a welding education cell are available.
Instructors want course work to be relevant and directly applicable to
industry. The best colleges support their local community by preparing
students to be successful on Day 1 of their careers as technicians and
engineers in factories and other industries. To learn more about
Robotics for Education and Workforce Development, visit
stem.motoman.com.

Thanks for the link, Ed. There is a video demonstration of the 5kg payload
version on that page: http://youtu.be/mzazFNdJ5pM
What we are looking at is probably a $10,000+ (and I may actually be
low-balling it by at least one zero) piece of gear. Good for a university
but tough to swallow for an individual. He does mention there's also a
smaller 2 kg robot but still...

Perhaps it's just been my experience looking for these decommissioned
educational robots on eBay but I balked at his phrase "... for a school
that is looking to add robotics curriculum ..." - from the looks of it in
the last decade all I've seen is them dropping the "robotics curriculum"
that was actually established in the late 80s early 90s and by now have
noone to actually teach it.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ts-580710-.htm