Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Advice requested for the repair of 3 of 4 ceiling fans (perhaps remote controlled?)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:46:26 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:31:18 -0700, Oren wrote:

When you get the canopy lowered
there will be a hook on the mounting bracket at the box. The hook is
used to hang the fan while you work on the wires or the module. Use
the side hole on the canopy to hang the fan on the hook.

Thanks Oren, that diagram was very helpful as I have never worked
on fans before.

You're welcome.

I will remove one of the canopies of the easier fans.

1. For the one working fan, I'll determine how the remote, pull switch
and wall switch interact (so I know how to debug the others).

2. For the fan on the extremely high ceiling, I'll hope to try all the
combinations of the DIP switch inside the one Emerson remote that
works the similarly looking fan (#1 above).

Photo or write down the current DIP switch settings before you start
changing them. They must have worked at one time, so you can go back.

Surprisingly, since this fan is located in a foyer which has four
side entrances, the number of unknown wall switches is astounding.
There are roughly a dozen wall switches in that foyer, scattered
about, only about 3/4 of which I have identified what they do (most
turn on lights and some turn on outlets - but a few don't do anything
that I know of).

Turn on all the wall switches and then try the remote. If the fan
works, turn them off one at a time until the fan turns off.

They should make it mandatory that houses come with wiring diagrams!

3. For the other two fans, both of which are different, I can drop the
canopy and see if there's a remote inside.

Does anyone know if these remotes inside the canopy need batteries?
(it might be *that* simple?)

Not that I'm aware of. A battery would require changing them in the
canopy. The remote control battery is easier to change. Remote modules
I've installed in the canopy had no battery - just the wired-in remote
module.