Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney crown and top repair? - I don't want to be scammed

On Monday, July 29, 2013 7:13:12 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:20:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed.

Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

Looks like it just needs tuck pointing.

Get a couple estimates from guys who do tuck pointing.

I wouldn't want chimney sweepers doing anything but chimney sweeping.

+1

It looks like it's in good shape, just needs some pointing
done in the upper left area of the first pic. Looks like
there could be some cracks in the top too. I'd get estimates
from a couple of masons.