Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Chimney crown and top repair? - I don't want to be scammed

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:20:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
I know my chimney needs repair, but every time the chimney sweep guys come to clean the flue, they tell me something different (I need "Chimney Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed.
Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome.

I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too comfortable on ladder for extended duration.

Thanks!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbf851051.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d0c0d1.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps02c2565b.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscf5fd75f.jpg

Looks like it just needs tuck pointing.
Get a couple estimates from guys who do tuck pointing.
I wouldn't want chimney sweepers doing anything but chimney sweeping.