Ian

Default Exterior wiring

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
Just my point of view, but can I make a plea for you not to use bulkhead
lights? They shine light everywhere, up into the sky, and into people's
windows. Not a problem for you, but unwanted light from a neighbour
can be nearly as annoying as unwanted noise.
My suggestion is that you consider the snazzy looking full-cut-off
light and integrated PIR fixtures you can get at the DIY places now.
You can get 75W, 150W and I think 300W lamps and the lamp and PIR
sensors are independently moveable. You won't need 500W with a fixture
of this type as the light goes precisely where you want it. They retail at
about £10 - £13. I've seen 'em at Homebase and B&Q.

regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy

Thanks for this - the light pollution aspect hadn't really occurred
to me. I thought of using bulkheads as (i) they are cheap and (ii)
my next door neighbour has one and it seems to work OK on his side
of the path.

To be fair there isn't a lot of space between the two houses so most
of the light is going to be trapped. But I am interested in your
suggestion. Trouble is I'm not really sure what I am looking for.
Do I need to go and find something called a 'full-cut-off light' -
i.e. does that fully describe what I need to go and buy?

Please not I definitely don't want the security style lights or
those naff lantern things.

Thanks,

Ian