Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Learning industrial robotics, any favorite robots?

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
snip
========================

While we all like to use our own "stuff," you would most
likely be far ahead to check if any of the community
colleges or vo-techs in your area have a robotics class or
two, You can learn on their equipment, the learning is
structured, and you are "net working."

In most cases you can sign up for single classes with the
consent of the instructor, but most likely these will be
non-credit [toward degree or certificate].

Also check with your local job placement office as all or
part of the tuition/fees/books may be covered.

I agree if the schools would go deep enough into the robotics to be useful.
My previous robotic experience includes jogging to positions to teach the
robot and then the robot follows the path when you run the program. A guy
at work said that's all they did with their robotic arm at the technical
school. I would like to go a lot deeper, interfacing with PLC's and perhaps
machine vision. Educational home projects for robotics might include
reloading ammo, changing parts on the CNC mill, maybe it could stir supper
and become wife friendly. I can just see her tearing down my automated
reloading to "stir constantly while bringing to a boil"!

RogerN