Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Learning industrial robotics, any favorite robots?

"passerby" wrote in message
ups.com...

replying to RogerN , passerby wrote:
regor wrote:

So I was thinking about looking for a bargain industrial style robot,
something I can use to learn about robotics. Any favorites as far as
friendly companies, online documentation, etc.? I don't want to buy a

$1500
bargain robot only to find out there is no available documentation or it
requires high $$$ software or something. I'd like it to be something
with

demand like Fanuc or ABB or other major industrial robotics
manufacturers.

Perhaps start with something that's more geared towards learning? Like
this:

http://youtu.be/ov0SJJt2PhY

Lookup Scorbot (a.k.a. Eshed Robotech, Intelitek, Depco) - you can start
with an ER-III which is almost like a toy (but has all the functionality
of a "proper" industrial robot) and, if that's not enough, progress to
ER-VII (almost industrial - perhaps used somewhere in light industry) and
then onto ER-9, an actual industrial robot. There's a ton of info online
and there are quite a few on eBay at any given time, all within $300-$400
range, and sometimes have add-ons like conveyors, linear screw stages and
rotary tables. Can definitely outfit the whole lab for under $1000

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ts-580710-.htm

I've been looking at the smaller educational robots, it looks like I could
get something functional for less money than the industrial robots, and they
are more shipping friendly.

Many of the jobs I see where they want you to have robotics experience
specify ABB, Fanuc, or whatever brand(s) they use. That's why I'd prefer a
brand of robot that is in demand in industry, I know that what I would learn
on a Scorbot would apply to other robots but employers don't seem to
understand this. If this was applied to cars you'd have to have experience
driving every make and model of car or else go to training, knowing how to
drive is the key, you can learn the differences as you go.

RogerN