Posted to uk.d-i-y
Farmer Giles[_2_] Farmer Giles[_2_] is offline

Default Math help :-)

An awning is attached to a wall at a height "X".

The front edge is lower because the awning slopes by 15 degrees.

Depending on the width, the awning could extend by anything from 1m to 4m.

If I want the front edge at a specific height "Y", what would distance
"X" be?

I want to make up a spreadsheet to calculate this for any height "Y" and
any extension. So, if the client wants the front of the awning 2.1m off
the ground and it extends 2m, how high would "X" be?

You can make up an Excel spreadsheet as follows:

Put in awning front height - in metres - in column (say) D3

Then put the awning width (by that I mean front to back) - again in
metres - in column D5

Then put the slope - in degrees - in column D7

Your final column, which will give the height of the rear of the awning,
will need the following formula: =TAN(D7*PI()/180)*D5+(D3)