Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Learning industrial robotics, any favorite robots?

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 23:42:26 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

Looking at the jobs available for PLC and automation, one area that I need
to strengthen is in Robotics. The plant where I work uses some robots but
the work is all outsourced. We are shown how to jog the robots out of a jam
and restart it, but that's about it.

So I was thinking about looking for a bargain industrial style robot,
something I can use to learn about robotics. Any favorites as far as
friendly companies, online documentation, etc.? I don't want to buy a $1500
bargain robot only to find out there is no available documentation or it
requires high $$$ software or something. I'd like it to be something with
demand like Fanuc or ABB or other major industrial robotics manufacturers.

RogerN

========================

While we all like to use our own "stuff," you would most
likely be far ahead to check if any of the community
colleges or vo-techs in your area have a robotics class or
two, You can learn on their equipment, the learning is
structured, and you are "net working."

In most cases you can sign up for single classes with the
consent of the instructor, but most likely these will be
non-credit [toward degree or certificate].

Also check with your local job placement office as all or
part of the tuition/fees/books may be covered.