Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old Tektronix 7603 Question

Not sure what to do exactly now. The print indicates that it dumped 130V into the 5V line. This took out IC510(?)which I replaced becasue I happened to have one in an old 7613 carcass. That brought the readout back but all the characters are on top of each other, near the center. It was just a dot. Then I changed the whole horiz amp board and got the same.

With the original fault, though it had operational vertical, with the vertical uplugged the trace was at the bottom of the screen. I thought it should be in the center, in fact I am sure of it because that is how it was when I got it.

Originally I used the 7613 at work just as a component tester, it fried and the wrong guy tried to fix it. (wronger than me)It sat in the basement for a while until I found one on Craigslist with no vertical plugin. The trace was like one cycle of a sawtooth due to an open -15 volt filter. With that fixed it worked. IIRC the trace was flat and in the center withouut the vertical. Since this fault, even though it would center, with the vertical out it was at the bottom, though the only way it had a trace was with the horiz set to amplifier and the source set to line. Now it no longer has that even.

One thing I noticed which is strange, since the fault occurred, the readout reads 400uS for example onstead of 500uS. Honestly I do ot remember if it was like that before because I simply never gave iut a thought, but BOTH horizontal plugins do it.

It seemed logical that the plugin was bad since it had a trace in line source but not timebase, but BOTH plugins did the same thing.

It was nice to pickup the mainframe or $25 just needing one filter, I doubt I'll ever find another one for that kind of deal. Back when it worked they were all over eBay for cheap, I looked the other day and they are all gone except the ones for hundreds of bucks.

There is a guy on Craigslist who has a bunch of stufff but forget him, he wanted like $70 each for plugns. This was when I was looking for a dual timebase and a better vertical, at least with readouts, or possibly a second vertical.

Maybe electronic ****house still has one, in fact I am going to call them.

More later. One problem is that if I part it out it will be hard to figure which parts are good. The vertical amp in the 7613 is different so I am not likely to be able to test that by subbing it. The Z axis board is suspect, and the one from the 7613 makes it way out of focus and out of range, likely because of the different CRT.

I dunno, maybe I'll just stick to the old POS B&K. In fact it needs a little work but nothing major. Damn, even my old 561 took a ****. No biggie though it's only like 10 Mhz.

Whatever, what I am going to do about it tonight is get drunk, fukit......