Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Wood Floor Installation

wrote in message

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:15:17 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

This is not solid wood? A manufactured "wood product"
with wood veneer? If so, I concur that it is a lousy
job, no reason the boards couldn't have been knocked
together. Especially so with the end to end gap.

This product is supposed to be solid wood and it appears
to be exactly that. What makes you think it's not?

At first look, the tongue looked like it was not, looked "strandy". With a
second look, I realize it is wood, just unfinished and considerably
magnified.
____________________

Question: how far does the gap you photographed extend?
All the way to the next board in the same course? Does
it extend along that next board too?

It depends. Most of the side-by-side gaps continue to
the end of the board.

Which means that (most likely) there was no defect or warp in the board, the
installer just didn't care enough to seat it fully.

The next board might be flush or
have its own gap. Many of the end-to-end gaps narrow
towards one of the long edges.

Which indicates that the end wasn't cut square. Either that or the board is
angled relative to its neighbor on the side in which case there would be a
gap along the side as well at the end.

--

dadiOH