Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Learning industrial robotics, any favorite robots?

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

snip

Its getting to be, A LONG TME AGO, but I made four GM Fanuc robots do
my bidding for a couple years. The control language was a computer
language most similar to Pascal (maybe nobody has heard of that
anymore) I went to GM for training and they also had a computer
program with robot simulator so you could test your code at your desk.

Anyway, 20 years ago, I found writing programs for robots to be easier
than PLC programs.

If you are interested, my son has a scrap welding robot he'd be
willing to sell.

Karl

Where I used to work we had a couple of Asea (now ABB) robots that I got
working. I just followed the instructions for programming and moved it
point to point storing the points, then the robot would repeat the moves.
They eBayed them after a while, sold for $100, I would have bid but I didn't
watch the auction, I figured 2 working Asea robots would be way over my
budget. Jogging to a few points and programming those points was the limit
of my experience with robot programming.

Does the welding robot have the controller? I'm wondering about shipping,
how far away and any idea on weight? For learning purposes, I'm looking at
some little robots on eBay, like they use in schools for robotics training.
I'd prefer a more industrial robot but finding something low cost that works
nearby is the trick. I could take a college course with robotics but I can
learn more by buying a robot and reading the instructions, doing some
projects.

RogerN